“Those who sow in tears Shall reap in joy” (Psalm 126:5)
Tears often accompany spiritual breakthroughs; they are part of the sowing and reaping, the releasing and receiving of spiritual benefits. The brokenness of blessing is a life-giving source when accompanied by tears. Charles Spurgeon defined this ‘ministry of tears’ as ‘liquid prayers’. The shortest verse in scripture is simply, “Jesus wept” (John `1:35) As Jesus heard the sorrow and unbelief of His friends, He wept and the tears of compassion brought life.
- The dawn of life begins when there are the tears of repentance. “Now therefore,” says the Lord, “Turn to Me with all your heart, With fasting, with weeping, and with mourning.” (Joel 2:12)
- When prayers are answered there are tears of reconciliation and joy! “Esau ran to meet him, and embraced him, and fell on his neck and kissed him, and they wept.” (Genesis 33:4)
- There are other reasons for this ministry of tears. For Hezekiah the ministry of the tears of suffering brought healing, “I have heard your prayer, I have seen your tears; surely I will heal you…” (2 Kings 20:5)
- Sometimes tears of desperation fall and when they do they bring deliverance. “…there was great mourning among the Jews, with fasting, weeping, and wailing; and many lay in sackcloth and ashes.” (Esther 4:3b)
- The tears of travail, as a woman in the birth pangs usher in a new birth, a new season or a new wine skin. “I have held My peace a long time, I have been still and restrained Myself. Now I will cry like a woman in labor, I will pant and gasp at once” (Isaiah 42:14) These are the tears of the great intercessor Himself often using the human vessel as He breaks through to reveal His plans and purposes.
As you and I walk in this sin-sick, broken world we too must be broken by the great darkness all around us. Tears of compassion, healing, reconciliation, joy, desperation, tears of travail and tears of repentance will flow as we identify with man’s great need for God’s great visitation.
Further Reading: Esther 4 ~ Isaiah 42:14-16