But the fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, gentleness, self-control against such there is no law.” [Galatians 5:22]
There’s a reason that self-control is last on the list of benefits of living by the Spirit and not the flesh. The flesh always works in the self-defense mode – always quick fix – gotta have it now – gotta have it my way. There are always those around who will either fight or take advantage of this way of thinking since they also walk in the flesh. Sadly they will often use the ‘law’ of God as their weapon of choice, but when you walk in the Spirit the benefit is – there is no law that can stand against you!
The benefits of walking in the Spirit are:
- Self-control allows you to take time – to make sound decisions – to find out what the options are in every situation – to say ‘no’ or to say ‘yes, anything that demands attention and decision immediately is not the operation of the Holy Spirit.
- Self-control enables you to think clearly, to discern the spirit of every situation and circumstance.
- Self-control empowers you to respond with kindness, gentleness and longsuffering toward those that life demands you interact with.
- Self-control encourages love of life, to value people, to honor others above self and to give when the flesh would take.
- Self-control equips you to set and keep your boundaries when circumstances try to break through or others press in too close.
- Self-control is secure and knows that the value of self is expressed by a loving God whose creativity has made each person unique and priceless in His eyes. The CROSS proves it!
Further Reading: Galatians 5; Psalm 35:1-25; Proverbs 22:17-29